So what lessons can I take with me from Israel to keep my hopeful, inquisitive framework going? When I look at pictures from the trip, I am reminded of the wonder I felt at the simplicity of daily events- a cow on the side of the road, children wearing ceremonial garb as they ambled around a park, dogs watching out for crumbs on the street left behind by tourists like me. I just felt excited and curious wherever I was. It could be overcast and freezing cold but I was happy wherever I went. Of course I was pretty exhausted but I didn't really care, everything was new and fresh and I still feel a desire for change. How do I reinvigorate novelty in a place where I am so familiar?
Knowing that I am not alone, that I will see my distant friends again soon, that I can access the spirit of travel by concentrating on my past experiences, these things help. It can be really hard though. I still have to work and get through daily chores and the monotony can wear on my resiliency and curiosity. But then again, all it takes is one decision to focus my attention on the aspects I crave so much and I can cultivate the feelings again by acting as if everything is new; See through the eyes I had in Israel.
No comments:
Post a Comment