Friday, January 2, 2015

Israel

I received many takeaways from Israel. Among the most germane is how to refrain from fabricating expectations because they will invariably be proven wrong. Because I had no control over where I would be, for how long, or what activities I would be doing, I had to remain unconditionally open everyday. Since I was sharing intimate quarters with new people everyday I also had to recognize my responsibility to be a part of the group choice by choice by choice. I couldn't think only of myself the entire time, I had to be a partner and a participant day and night. The people who didn't make an effort to be open and challenge themselves to learn and grow and interact wholeheartedly with everyone else stood out, in a bad way. This reinforced my understanding that every individual carries a power, an energy to change the world around them. I awoke everyday in a new place. I naturally led every interaction aware of how new everything felt and how I can carry this awareness back at home. If I go about my day trivially, I will lose my intention to act from a loving place and I may instead make careless decisions and lose out on incredible opportunities that only come once in a lifetime. 

Our group learned to trust people who were strangers hours before. These strangers led us blindfolded to a breathtaking mountaintop view of Jerusalem. For thousands of years our ancestors slaved and waited to arrive at this place and suddenly here we were, together in the holy land. We heard the narrative of the history of Jerusalem and the second temple, the Western wall and the sacred sites. We were lucky to sample some of the tasting menu of the region, including an drink illegal in the U.S. called "gat juice." Later in the evening at the wall, I squeezed between beautiful women of varying ages, backgrounds, and spiritual practices. Despite seeming diversity, we joined in dancing and singing and walking backwards. We were partying and praying in unison and even though we didn't speak the same language I felt safe in their presence. We were communicating through our feelings and intentions and that was enough. It made me think about all the conflict we get exposed to, both globally and personally. If there is something we see in someone else or some other group, there is a strong chance they see the same things in us. We may be trying to convince someone else that they are wrong or that they don't understand where we are coming from, but they may be thinking the exact same thing of us. The things we resist, the challenges and discomforts may be the very things we have to befriend in order to reach a greater understanding and solve the deepest issues.  
Walking home from the wall with my friends was fun and freeing. We were sharing an authentic Shabbat experience during Hanukah, free of electronics, cars and clutter. I felt like we were celebrating getting one step closer to our soul's awakening by showing up and being ourselves, finding the strength to try out new experiences with new people and acting out of our good nature, taking nothing for granted. We were giving ourselves exactly what we needed and proved we don't have to do anything in order to belong. We belong because of who we are. I wish I could return to Israel with all my new friends and relieve that night under the stars, walking and laughing and having such an incredible time in such a magical place. Together we find our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment