Wednesday, May 14, 2014

the beauty of myth

I have been watching a lot of movies lately and reading a friend's blog commentary on some of the films I have seen. I have never been a movie buff, but because of my friends and husband's passion for film, I have grown to find immense value in it. I like how the importance of characters as metaphors and the essential nature of plot and structure are similar in books as well as movies. The foundation and effectiveness both artful expressions is the extent to which the story is coherent, purposeful and interesting. Myth, ultimately, is an avenue of communication for that which can't be said or written, that which can't be understood solely with the mind, but rather felt and connected with on a deeper level. This is my interpretation. However, if we only look at someone else's interpretation, we only see through one lens. This inhibits our unique and innate energy, skill, and creativity. I highly encourage you to form your own sense and share it so others may do the same. Ask yourself, what do the metaphors mean for me? What does the protagonist stand for in me? Metaphors can speak to an eternity inside of us and step into that place inside where we become divine, revitalized. We can connect with an embodiment that exists in our own selves. I am speaking abstractly, but I still find the sentiment profound. I enjoy connecting with the underdog, or the everyman who triumphs, learns, overcomes obstacles with courage and tenacity. I think we all enjoy the journey. The stories are a mirror that help us see ourselves more clearly. This is the power of storytelling. We are no longer bystanders peering in from a distance. Rather we throw ourselves into the story and we become the characters, we allow ourselves to see life as the characters do, through their eyes and develop our own creative relationship with the story itself. I am constantly fascinated by storytelling. I aspire to be a storyteller. I love stories, always have, always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment