Monday, May 5, 2014

Where has all the ambition gone?

In the midst of finals and research papers, I, like many of my fellow graduate students, am feeling part stir crazy and part in need of a miracle. It is as if I have been traveling at 150 rpm and my engine is about to combust. The pressure and the demands of the program are taxing. The long days, short nights, lack of social connection, friends and family time have left a hole in my soul. Where is my ambition? Where is the fire and passion for greatness? Those feelings are important, they help me be excited and joyful in the midst of activity, even the activity that was once a burden becomes a boon. Passion is the source of alchemy: transforming base medal into gold, transforming my boring habits into a fascination that propels me into my personal legend. I find myself at the precipice of an important decision: do I seek peace or drama? Everyone desires peace, but there is something inside that seeks drama and conflict.
I do this time and time again, when the going gets tough, I get going. I make up excuses and I seek a way out of the challenges. I run away from difficulty even though I know, fundamentally, that making it through the other side, no matter how many times I falter, will bring me to the next level. That is what humanity is for, isn't it? To discover our internal and external reasons for living, merging them, and pursuing them without hesitation, no matter how hard, because we are all, each and every one of us, destined for greatness. It is this truth, this realization, that now after so many times of choosing the opposite, I can choose to force my way through to the edge of the desert and discover what I am truly made of. Lets do it together! Onward we shall face our greatest fears and become the heroes of our unique personal journeys. It is study time.

No comments:

Post a Comment